We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
"Thirst is stronger than the rules."
- Stars & Watercarriers
Water, the elixir of life and also something very important to a cyclist. If you don't have a trusty domestique at your disposal, you need to make sure you have enough of the wet stuff to keep going. But the legendary café raids, where the gregari of yore would exploit any watering hole, are now a thing of the past thanks to larger budgets and, of course, stricter rules.
Yes, the rules. There is also an unwritten rule that you shouldn't carelessly throw your water bottle away, but sometimes when riders do - from the sheer thirst for winning and all that brings - it can lead to entertaining viewing (for the spectator at least). Here's three famous examples:
Tommy Steels notices Frédéric Moncassin is getting rather thirsty during the sprint finish, so kindly offers him a drink.
Blame it on the Bidon
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov, also known as the 'Tashkent Terror' gained notoriety with his 'enthusiastic' sprinting style. What made him even more notorious was this crash, and the misplaced bidon that caused it.
A pattern is emerging, sprinters love throwing bidons at people. This time it's Mario Cipollini showing the commissaire that he can hit any target at 30mph.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB
- Tejay on the front of the 17 man break that includes more than a few heavies. http://t.co/hJmdvUHLeS