We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
"Thirst is stronger than the rules."
- Stars & Watercarriers
Water, the elixir of life and also something very important to a cyclist. If you don't have a trusty domestique at your disposal, you need to make sure you have enough of the wet stuff to keep going. But the legendary café raids, where the gregari of yore would exploit any watering hole, are now a thing of the past thanks to larger budgets and, of course, stricter rules.
Yes, the rules. There is also an unwritten rule that you shouldn't carelessly throw your water bottle away, but sometimes when riders do - from the sheer thirst for winning and all that brings - it can lead to entertaining viewing (for the spectator at least). Here's three famous examples:
Tommy Steels notices Frédéric Moncassin is getting rather thirsty during the sprint finish, so kindly offers him a drink.
Blame it on the Bidon
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov, also known as the 'Tashkent Terror' gained notoriety with his 'enthusiastic' sprinting style. What made him even more notorious was this crash, and the misplaced bidon that caused it.
A pattern is emerging, sprinters love throwing bidons at people. This time it's Mario Cipollini showing the commissaire that he can hit any target at 30mph.
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries