We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
"Thirst is stronger than the rules."
- Stars & Watercarriers
Water, the elixir of life and also something very important to a cyclist. If you don't have a trusty domestique at your disposal, you need to make sure you have enough of the wet stuff to keep going. But the legendary café raids, where the gregari of yore would exploit any watering hole, are now a thing of the past thanks to larger budgets and, of course, stricter rules.
Yes, the rules. There is also an unwritten rule that you shouldn't carelessly throw your water bottle away, but sometimes when riders do - from the sheer thirst for winning and all that brings - it can lead to entertaining viewing (for the spectator at least). Here's three famous examples:
Tommy Steels notices Frédéric Moncassin is getting rather thirsty during the sprint finish, so kindly offers him a drink.
Blame it on the Bidon
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov, also known as the 'Tashkent Terror' gained notoriety with his 'enthusiastic' sprinting style. What made him even more notorious was this crash, and the misplaced bidon that caused it.
A pattern is emerging, sprinters love throwing bidons at people. This time it's Mario Cipollini showing the commissaire that he can hit any target at 30mph.
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX