We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Bonneville Salt Flat
This weekend 42 US riders will meet, greet, tell tales and enjoy a well-earned rest in Los Angeles, CA. As part of the 42-Below Vodka bike summer to build a buzz amongst vodka-drinking cyclists (and why not?), the 21 riders of the southern route and the 21 riders who took the northern passage will become 42. And so ends their ride across the United States.
42-Below has been filming the summer journey and will be releasing a film as part of next year's Bicycle Film Festival, but since Rapha helped by sorting out the riders with Stowaway Jackets so they were ready for the elements, a few of the riders have been sharing the more entertaining bits along the way.
We first met Chris at our White's Ferry Gentlemen's Ride in Washington D.C. earlier this summer, just a couple of weeks before he got the call from 42-Below group to head west. Chris sent this in of he and Kennedy riding across Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats, a natural wonder so flat, so dazzling that it's a favorite location for filming car commercials and has been the site of hundreds of land-speed records.
Interestingly enough, the salt flats' potential for racing was first recognized in 1896 by W.D. Rishel who was scouting a bicycle race course from New York to San Francisco. I'm sure that W.D. and now Chris and Kennedy realize the flats' potential for eroding frames, cables, brake pads, rims and anything else that comes in contact with the salt floor.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9