We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Bonneville Salt Flat
This weekend 42 US riders will meet, greet, tell tales and enjoy a well-earned rest in Los Angeles, CA. As part of the 42-Below Vodka bike summer to build a buzz amongst vodka-drinking cyclists (and why not?), the 21 riders of the southern route and the 21 riders who took the northern passage will become 42. And so ends their ride across the United States.
42-Below has been filming the summer journey and will be releasing a film as part of next year's Bicycle Film Festival, but since Rapha helped by sorting out the riders with Stowaway Jackets so they were ready for the elements, a few of the riders have been sharing the more entertaining bits along the way.
We first met Chris at our White's Ferry Gentlemen's Ride in Washington D.C. earlier this summer, just a couple of weeks before he got the call from 42-Below group to head west. Chris sent this in of he and Kennedy riding across Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats, a natural wonder so flat, so dazzling that it's a favorite location for filming car commercials and has been the site of hundreds of land-speed records.
Interestingly enough, the salt flats' potential for racing was first recognized in 1896 by W.D. Rishel who was scouting a bicycle race course from New York to San Francisco. I'm sure that W.D. and now Chris and Kennedy realize the flats' potential for eroding frames, cables, brake pads, rims and anything else that comes in contact with the salt floor.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb