We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Blue Jeans: Centraal Museum
The Centraal Museum in Utrecht in the Netherlands is currently hosting a comprehensive exhibition of denim and its impact on the world. Displaying examples of blue jeans as fashion, art, craftsmanship, technology and more, it looks at more than 350 years of this most simple but culturally important textile. As the blue jeans catalogue testifies:
“An iconic street symbol that can be found in almost every wardrobe: the blue jeans. Worn for more than 150 years, the fabric holds an even more longstanding tradition. Still it has repeatedly proven to be modern and innovative.”
One of the many exhibits just happens to be a pair of Rapha Jeans, representing the more modern and functional aspect of blue jeans design. The exhibition also includes a pair of 19th-century Levi’s used by miners, as well as designs by Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent.
There are various other elements to the show, including a ‘blue jeans workshop’, a study of jeans in international subcultures and how jeans have simultaneously expressed both uniformity and individuality. With essays, photos, art installations and even a denim dictionary provided, if you happen to be in this part of the world, it’s definitely worth a visit.
Blue Jeans continues until the 10th march 2013.
Location: Centraal Museum, Nicolaaskerkhof 10 3512 XC Utrecht
Contact: T +31 (0)30 236 2362 centraalmuseum.nl
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG
- Sunday morning race day, church car park scene. @anpostras #ras2013 http://t.co/2E1UlfAxhe
- Will all these numbers be able to wear the coveted t-shirt in one weeks time? #menoftheras #ras2013 http://t.co/ai1oqnDIyh
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…