We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Blue Jeans: Centraal Museum
The Centraal Museum in Utrecht in the Netherlands is currently hosting a comprehensive exhibition of denim and its impact on the world. Displaying examples of blue jeans as fashion, art, craftsmanship, technology and more, it looks at more than 350 years of this most simple but culturally important textile. As the blue jeans catalogue testifies:
“An iconic street symbol that can be found in almost every wardrobe: the blue jeans. Worn for more than 150 years, the fabric holds an even more longstanding tradition. Still it has repeatedly proven to be modern and innovative.”
One of the many exhibits just happens to be a pair of Rapha Jeans, representing the more modern and functional aspect of blue jeans design. The exhibition also includes a pair of 19th-century Levi’s used by miners, as well as designs by Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent.
There are various other elements to the show, including a ‘blue jeans workshop’, a study of jeans in international subcultures and how jeans have simultaneously expressed both uniformity and individuality. With essays, photos, art installations and even a denim dictionary provided, if you happen to be in this part of the world, it’s definitely worth a visit.
Blue Jeans continues until the 10th march 2013.
Location: Centraal Museum, Nicolaaskerkhof 10 3512 XC Utrecht
Contact: T +31 (0)30 236 2362 centraalmuseum.nl
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.