We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Blue Jeans: Centraal Museum
The Centraal Museum in Utrecht in the Netherlands is currently hosting a comprehensive exhibition of denim and its impact on the world. Displaying examples of blue jeans as fashion, art, craftsmanship, technology and more, it looks at more than 350 years of this most simple but culturally important textile. As the blue jeans catalogue testifies:
“An iconic street symbol that can be found in almost every wardrobe: the blue jeans. Worn for more than 150 years, the fabric holds an even more longstanding tradition. Still it has repeatedly proven to be modern and innovative.”
One of the many exhibits just happens to be a pair of Rapha Jeans, representing the more modern and functional aspect of blue jeans design. The exhibition also includes a pair of 19th-century Levi’s used by miners, as well as designs by Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent.
There are various other elements to the show, including a ‘blue jeans workshop’, a study of jeans in international subcultures and how jeans have simultaneously expressed both uniformity and individuality. With essays, photos, art installations and even a denim dictionary provided, if you happen to be in this part of the world, it’s definitely worth a visit.
Blue Jeans continues until the 10th march 2013.
Location: Centraal Museum, Nicolaaskerkhof 10 3512 XC Utrecht
Contact: T +31 (0)30 236 2362 centraalmuseum.nl
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.