We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
BIKESNOB NYC KNOWS EPIC
There is a line in The Godfather, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer", and we have to admit that Michael Corleone may have been on our minds as the date approached for the BikeSnob NYC to give a presentation at the Rapha Cycle Club. We contacted Mr. Snob, otherwise known as Eben Weiss, on the heels of the publication of his best-selling book. Knowing his penchant for humorously skewering Rapha (along with everyone else in cycling), we asked him to pontificate on the use of the term "epic" and what it has come to mean in the sport.
In typical Snob fashion, and in front of 100+ eager fans, Mr. Weiss delivered a slideshow that he termed "A Meh-exploration of Epic". No stone was left unturned as he roasted the Rapha Continental videos, Cycle Club employees, dentists with $15,000 bikes, and himself. After the presentation, Mr. Snob took a few questions and then turned to what he called "Rapha Price is Right". Flashing a few items on the big screen, he asked the audience to guess the prices without going over, in an effort to win a coveted BSNYC Seal of Disapproval t-shirt. We didn't know whether to be pleased or disappointed when most of the audience yelled out ridiculously high prices (often in Pounds Sterling. Touché.). But there were plenty of Rapha-knowledgeable fans who guessed spot on and went home with some BSNYC goodies.
Books were signed, and the evening stretched out as Mr. Snob mingled with his followers, shaking hands and making new friends. We're truly grateful to Eben for the event, and with something as unique, insightful and humorous as his blog, we hope he continues as Bike Snob for a long time to come.
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!