We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
BIKESNOB NYC KNOWS EPIC
There is a line in The Godfather, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer", and we have to admit that Michael Corleone may have been on our minds as the date approached for the BikeSnob NYC to give a presentation at the Rapha Cycle Club. We contacted Mr. Snob, otherwise known as Eben Weiss, on the heels of the publication of his best-selling book. Knowing his penchant for humorously skewering Rapha (along with everyone else in cycling), we asked him to pontificate on the use of the term "epic" and what it has come to mean in the sport.
In typical Snob fashion, and in front of 100+ eager fans, Mr. Weiss delivered a slideshow that he termed "A Meh-exploration of Epic". No stone was left unturned as he roasted the Rapha Continental videos, Cycle Club employees, dentists with $15,000 bikes, and himself. After the presentation, Mr. Snob took a few questions and then turned to what he called "Rapha Price is Right". Flashing a few items on the big screen, he asked the audience to guess the prices without going over, in an effort to win a coveted BSNYC Seal of Disapproval t-shirt. We didn't know whether to be pleased or disappointed when most of the audience yelled out ridiculously high prices (often in Pounds Sterling. Touché.). But there were plenty of Rapha-knowledgeable fans who guessed spot on and went home with some BSNYC goodies.
Books were signed, and the evening stretched out as Mr. Snob mingled with his followers, shaking hands and making new friends. We're truly grateful to Eben for the event, and with something as unique, insightful and humorous as his blog, we hope he continues as Bike Snob for a long time to come.
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG