We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
BESPOKE. May 12, 2010. New York City.
We are fortunate here in Portland, OR to have a thriving community of some really interesting and capable manipulators of steel, shape and speed. But, I imagine that if we were to do a clean extract of the Portland builders scene and drop it on the edge of New York's Central Park that it might be the vinegar that never really mixes in NYC's oil. However, after seeing America's 'melting pot' first-hand last week's exhibition opening of BESPOKE: The Handbuilt Bicycle, it's very clear that hand-made bicycles—and their makers—are a refreshing and inspiring 'medium' for a wide range of bicycle and art enthusiasts.
Not wanting to marginalize the centerpiece(s) of the attraction at all—the bikes are incredible—what I found myself excited by was the cases filled with pieces taken from each of the builders' workshops. The bicycles are flush with the personality and attitude of their maker, but getting a further glimpse via the personal bits they chose to share was really interesting.
Rapha is pleased to have been invited by the curators, Michael Maharam and Sacha White, to be involved with BESPOKE. In the hand-made spirit of and to commemorate the exhibition, we have made a limited batch of Brushed Camel Hair Maraham Caps
BESPOKE: The Handbuilt Bicycle
May 13 - August 15, 2010
Museum of Arts and Design
2 Columbus Circle
New York City
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9
- The 2013 edition of Alpe d’Quiz is now underway. For a chance to win a Rapha Backpack + Rain Cover, enter here → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq