We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
BESPOKE. May 12, 2010. New York City.
We are fortunate here in Portland, OR to have a thriving community of some really interesting and capable manipulators of steel, shape and speed. But, I imagine that if we were to do a clean extract of the Portland builders scene and drop it on the edge of New York's Central Park that it might be the vinegar that never really mixes in NYC's oil. However, after seeing America's 'melting pot' first-hand last week's exhibition opening of BESPOKE: The Handbuilt Bicycle, it's very clear that hand-made bicycles—and their makers—are a refreshing and inspiring 'medium' for a wide range of bicycle and art enthusiasts.
Not wanting to marginalize the centerpiece(s) of the attraction at all—the bikes are incredible—what I found myself excited by was the cases filled with pieces taken from each of the builders' workshops. The bicycles are flush with the personality and attitude of their maker, but getting a further glimpse via the personal bits they chose to share was really interesting.
Rapha is pleased to have been invited by the curators, Michael Maharam and Sacha White, to be involved with BESPOKE. In the hand-made spirit of and to commemorate the exhibition, we have made a limited batch of Brushed Camel Hair Maraham Caps
BESPOKE: The Handbuilt Bicycle
May 13 - August 15, 2010
Museum of Arts and Design
2 Columbus Circle
New York City
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN