We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
BESPOKE. May 12, 2010. New York City.
We are fortunate here in Portland, OR to have a thriving community of some really interesting and capable manipulators of steel, shape and speed. But, I imagine that if we were to do a clean extract of the Portland builders scene and drop it on the edge of New York's Central Park that it might be the vinegar that never really mixes in NYC's oil. However, after seeing America's 'melting pot' first-hand last week's exhibition opening of BESPOKE: The Handbuilt Bicycle, it's very clear that hand-made bicycles—and their makers—are a refreshing and inspiring 'medium' for a wide range of bicycle and art enthusiasts.
Not wanting to marginalize the centerpiece(s) of the attraction at all—the bikes are incredible—what I found myself excited by was the cases filled with pieces taken from each of the builders' workshops. The bicycles are flush with the personality and attitude of their maker, but getting a further glimpse via the personal bits they chose to share was really interesting.
Rapha is pleased to have been invited by the curators, Michael Maharam and Sacha White, to be involved with BESPOKE. In the hand-made spirit of and to commemorate the exhibition, we have made a limited batch of Brushed Camel Hair Maraham Caps
BESPOKE: The Handbuilt Bicycle
May 13 - August 15, 2010
Museum of Arts and Design
2 Columbus Circle
New York City
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.