We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Bec CC Hill Climb 2009
Wei-Ho Ng digs deep
The 54th Bec Cycling Club Hill Climb took place on Sunday 11th October. Held on White Lane or ‘Titsey Hill’ near Westerham in Kent, the event is a 700yard dash up a narrow country lane that includes a 25% section towards the top. This 1 in 4 part of the climb is where the majority of spectators line the road, shouting encouragement and blasting air horns as climbers battle against gradient and gravity. Traditionally a fixed gear is used on such an ascent but modern 10 speeds now outnumber those riding on single speed machines. Rapha sponsored the hill climb and fielded a team of four to ‘test’ the hill and sent a few others to take photos and scream riders on.
G. Raeburn used the climb to shake off his post-CCC cold
The only way
It was clear from the two hours that was spent cheering the riders on in the autumn drizzle that passion for the bike is exactly why this event exists. The narrow and cloistered road made for an intimate but brilliant atmosphere and is a fantastic contrast to the Champs Elysees or Via Roma. The feeling of fighting your way up the last 50 or so yards, spurred on by the screaming crowd is a somewhat primal affair and there were plenty of great ‘war faces’ on display. Lungs burning, heart drilling and legs on fire, what a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Photography by Ben "bottler" Brown
Big thanks to Garry Beckett and Bec CC.
Pictures at LondonCycleSport.com
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…