We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Bec CC Hill Climb 2009
Wei-Ho Ng digs deep
The 54th Bec Cycling Club Hill Climb took place on Sunday 11th October. Held on White Lane or ‘Titsey Hill’ near Westerham in Kent, the event is a 700yard dash up a narrow country lane that includes a 25% section towards the top. This 1 in 4 part of the climb is where the majority of spectators line the road, shouting encouragement and blasting air horns as climbers battle against gradient and gravity. Traditionally a fixed gear is used on such an ascent but modern 10 speeds now outnumber those riding on single speed machines. Rapha sponsored the hill climb and fielded a team of four to ‘test’ the hill and sent a few others to take photos and scream riders on.
G. Raeburn used the climb to shake off his post-CCC cold
The only way
It was clear from the two hours that was spent cheering the riders on in the autumn drizzle that passion for the bike is exactly why this event exists. The narrow and cloistered road made for an intimate but brilliant atmosphere and is a fantastic contrast to the Champs Elysees or Via Roma. The feeling of fighting your way up the last 50 or so yards, spurred on by the screaming crowd is a somewhat primal affair and there were plenty of great ‘war faces’ on display. Lungs burning, heart drilling and legs on fire, what a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Photography by Ben "bottler" Brown
Big thanks to Garry Beckett and Bec CC.
Pictures at LondonCycleSport.com
- The #raphaprestige story is up. Film by @WEREHAUS, photos from Brian Vernor & story by @krasniakjulie ::http://t.co/YtCARBlXee
- Clancy takes the win in the Tour series in Aberystwyth.
- @alainrumpf sorry for late reply. Comprehensive site is http://t.co/gBvpR134lP. As Udo Bölts once said, 'quäl' dich, du Sau!' Enjoy!
- On Friday May 31st, Rapha will be hosting a ride from Rapperswil-Jona on the banks of Lake Zurich. More info to follow next week on rapha.cc
- Boss. Norwegian national champion's replica jersey and bib shorts now at rapha.cc. http://t.co/fpyjc3PeiM
- As the #Giro begins to climax, @herbiesykes looks at one of its long-established traditions—the one-stage wonder. → http://t.co/mydWSIHSrT
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX
- Churchill → http://t.co/5yhkiupJAH #raphasurvey #wayfaring #cycling