We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Bay 13 Sun Tour Party in Pictures
Photography by Wade Wallace
While the rest of the world cycling calendar is coming to a close things are just beginning to heat up here in Australia. To me, the Sun Tour (or as the riders call it, the Fun Tour) always marks the beginning of the Australian cycling season and summer in general.
Rapha wanted to bring a slice of Alp d'Huez to the Sun Tour's penultimate stage on Arthurs Seat. Even though there were times the weather threatened to blow the whole mountain down, hundreds of hardcore cycling fans still showed up and created an atmosphere like the Sun Tour has never seen before.
A relatively short climb of just over 3km at 8%, the race was smashed to peices on the third lap of the Arthurs and won by Katusha's Egor Silin in a exhillarating solo victory. Local riders are doing well to climb Alpe d'Arthurs in 10minutes, while it was exhillarating to see the pros in the low 8 minutes.
Thank you to everyone who came down and enjoyed the day with us. It was a massive success. The Sun Tour riders absolutely loved it and a few of them told us it felt like they were back racing the Tour de France. In case you missed it, here’s a glimpse of the shenanigans that went on…
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX