We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Batteries not included
Photo: Joe Hell
Looking around for some words on Paris-Roubaix that hadn't already been written by the other riders, I looked back in my diary to the Friday we left. On the top of the page, there's a pencil list which says:
· Charge batteries.
I don't know what the batteries were for, but it kind of sums it up really.
Looking back, it all seems a bit surreal, and I wish I'd taken some of the painkillers. The enduring memory for me was how much my fingers hurt at the end of each section. The cobbles affected everyone in different ways, some in the knees, some in the arms, but for some reason, the joints in my fingers felt like they were being rattled apart. Each sector seemed to make the bones looser and looser, and it felt like they were knocking together harder and harder. The relentless juddering was having the same effect on the bikes, with previously tight components being slowly dislocated, until loose and knocking, threatening to damage surrounding parts and take the whole bike to pieces.
Watch Hors Course, a film by Ben Ingham.
- Last Night: http://t.co/K8ZACmUGGK
- The #raphaprestige story is up. Film by @WEREHAUS, photos from Brian Vernor & story by @krasniakjulie ::http://t.co/YtCARBlXee
- Clancy takes the win in the Tour series in Aberystwyth.
- @alainrumpf sorry for late reply. Comprehensive site is http://t.co/gBvpR134lP. As Udo Bölts once said, 'quäl' dich, du Sau!' Enjoy!
- On Friday May 31st, Rapha will be hosting a ride from Rapperswil-Jona on the banks of Lake Zurich. More info to follow next week on rapha.cc
- Boss. Norwegian national champion's replica jersey and bib shorts now at rapha.cc. http://t.co/fpyjc3PeiM
- As the #Giro begins to climax, @herbiesykes looks at one of its long-established traditions—the one-stage wonder. → http://t.co/mydWSIHSrT
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX