We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Words and photos: Michael Barry
Ride: Three Peaks Pilgrims Ride. David and I have spoken about doing this ride for several years. After a few failed attempts we finally accomplished the goal: three long climbs--Mare de Deu del Mont, Rocacorba and El Angels-- over a 200+km clover leaf shaped route around Girona.
At the top of each mountain is a monastery with stunning views of the Mediterranean coast and the Pyrenean peaks. To make the ride a little more interesting, and on some level, thrilling, I carried a map so we could seek out the quietest route over the smallest, often dirt, roads.
On the ride we stopped at a few bakeries/bars. Midday the bars are filled with truck drivers and construction workers. As we drank coffees and ate pastries, they shoveled down plates of pork and potatoes and sipped on glasses of red wine. We both ate a few energy bars on the final run into town when our legs were aching and vision started to blur.
Pockets: In our pockets we also have our mobile phones in case of emergency, to take the occasional photo and to get in contact with worried wives when we've been out riding too long.
I carry along a rain vest and cap for the descents or if a storm blows in from the mountains. I have no idea how long the ride was as our cyclo-computers weren't working but we were out for most of the day. On a ride like this one time and distance don't really matter, as it is all about the countryside and company.
Michael Barry is the author of Le Métier: the Seasons of a Professional Cyclist.
David Millar is the author of Racing Through the Dark: the Rise and Fall of David Millar.
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0