We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Angel Fire, NM
Music: Radio Ballet-Eluvium
I finally figured out why. As I was just about to fall asleep I kept rapidly breathing and waking myself up; we're at 8500ft.
Today's ride: 115miles, undulating between 8500-9500ft resulting in 7800ft of climbing. Or in my case, 150+ miles racing around in the van.
Pine tree encrusted slopes crumbling into narrow valleys. Slowly running streams being fished for rainbow trout. Sandstone columns rise in stacks above the treetops towards open sky. Clear dry thin and cloudless.
The first climb starts four miles out of town and continues for close to seven. The shoulderless road zig zags up and down the mountains, in and out of the canyons.
We had the first crash of the trip two miles after the mid-way stop and water/snack break. The edge of the road had a soft spot filled with chipfill overflow. Cole ran across it and laid it down. He was still able to finish the ride but his left shin is pretty shredded.
A long run over hard-packed gravel roads and then the final rolling descent back into town. We end the day with showers, pizza, and the 10th stage of the Tour de France.
WORDS: Christopher Stanton | Driver, on loan from Mellow Johnny's
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9