We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
A Short Introduction: Emily Barnes
If you’ve ever been passed in a race by someone half your age (it happens to all of us), you’ve probably felt the pain and embarrassment when instead of just pummeling you as she rides off into the distance, she turns and cheers you on. This is that girl. One of the nicest, talented young riders around, Emily Barnes comes from one of the UK’s most gifted families in cycling and is making a name for herself on the road, the track and muddy fields around the country. Here’s a very short introduction.
Full name and age?
Emily Grace Barnes, 16.
Racing/riding highlights so far?
Winning the Road (2009) and Cyclocross Nationals (2011).
What is your normal daily training schedule this time of year?
In the winter, usually I get home from school and if it’s dry - road ride with my awesome Exposure lights, or if it’s foggy, turbo.
What motivates you to get up and on the bike every day?
It's a great release from the stress of school and there are so many people backing me who inspire me to do well.
It’s got to be Artistic Licence by Katie Forde - I couldn't put it down.
Shower, Food, Stretch, Sofa.
What's playing on your iPod right now?
Dance With Me Tonight, Olly Murs.
Who do you consider to be your biggest role model?
Mark Cavendish, the determination he has, even though he was told he wouldn't make it at the age he was; he dug deep and has had some great achievements!
Worst advice you've ever received about cycling?
Off-road: “Speed is your friend.” Sometimes it’s not. It hurts at the time, and even worse when you hit the deck.
Best advice you've ever received?
“Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”. Words to live by.
Favourite cake - and where do you get it?
Carrot Cake, from the cafe on the Blackpool North Prom, one portion of this is enough to keep me going for a week and it's only £2.50!
What bikes do you ride?
Condor Terra X (cyclocross) USE wheels, Specialized Tubs; Condor Track frame; Giant TCR Advance (road).
Last thing you spent money on?
A huge hot chocolate and cookie after my exam to make me smile again! (It was a horrible exam and horrible weather too).
Favourite piece of Rapha kit?
Hmm that's tough, it’s a close call between my Women's Softshell jacket, or the Women's 3/4 length bibs! They are SO good, you even notice they are better than the rest of the awesome Rapha stuff.
Best place to ride in the mud?
Yorkshire! Todmorden, Bradford, wherever you go there you'll find mud, rain or shine.
What would you be doing if your weren't riding your bike?
Washing it? Only joking, probably with my friends having a good chat.
What do you want to do when you leave school?
Go to University to study Geography and Economics (hopefully) and ride my bike!
We’ll be following Emily in 2012, riding with the newly-formed Corvida Allpress women’s road team.
And this weekend Rapha celebrate women's cycling with a 50% three-day sale, stories from female riders and a look at new season designs.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB
- Tejay on the front of the 17 man break that includes more than a few heavies. http://t.co/hJmdvUHLeS