We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
1000 Xmas Kms: The Final Kilometres
WEDNESDAY 30th DECEMBER
Distance: 92k + 5k = 97k
Weather: Rain, rain and rain.
Route: I was planning a long night ride, but the weather is looking dismal so fitted in laps of Richmond Park early to pre-empt the shorter night ride…
…Which ends abruptly, when a motorist cuts out of a side road and I collide with the side of his moving car, sending me over the bars and into the wet road. My immediate concern was I'd damaged the Enigma - I currently had no spare bike - but it escaped with knocked shifters and bars (still a worry!). I rode back, doing the maths for the following day's milage.
Sitting in the park cafe watching the rain come down, but enjoying a coffee knowing I'd cracked it…
…Until that evening when I lost out on 45kms!
THURSDAY 31st DECEMBER
Distance: 85k+39k = 124k
Weather: Cold, occasional drizzle, clear night.
Route: I head into Kent, to the North Downs, to churn out the km's.
I'd pretty much given up taking photos by this point, they all showed the same dismal grey scenes. Doing sums all the time, I calculate the bare minimum I can do, knowing I'll make the total when dropping into New Year's parties in the evening…
Crossing the 1000k point in the dark, sleet coming down, smiling inside.
Waking up aching from the crash, knowing I'd lost out on my 'easy day' and plodding through the kilometres. The bike is beginning to show the strain; skipping, clicks, slow cables, all make me wince and wish for a service.
Grand Total: 1005km
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.