We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
1000 Xmas Kms: The Final Kilometres
WEDNESDAY 30th DECEMBER
Distance: 92k + 5k = 97k
Weather: Rain, rain and rain.
Route: I was planning a long night ride, but the weather is looking dismal so fitted in laps of Richmond Park early to pre-empt the shorter night ride…
…Which ends abruptly, when a motorist cuts out of a side road and I collide with the side of his moving car, sending me over the bars and into the wet road. My immediate concern was I'd damaged the Enigma - I currently had no spare bike - but it escaped with knocked shifters and bars (still a worry!). I rode back, doing the maths for the following day's milage.
Sitting in the park cafe watching the rain come down, but enjoying a coffee knowing I'd cracked it…
…Until that evening when I lost out on 45kms!
THURSDAY 31st DECEMBER
Distance: 85k+39k = 124k
Weather: Cold, occasional drizzle, clear night.
Route: I head into Kent, to the North Downs, to churn out the km's.
I'd pretty much given up taking photos by this point, they all showed the same dismal grey scenes. Doing sums all the time, I calculate the bare minimum I can do, knowing I'll make the total when dropping into New Year's parties in the evening…
Crossing the 1000k point in the dark, sleet coming down, smiling inside.
Waking up aching from the crash, knowing I'd lost out on my 'easy day' and plodding through the kilometres. The bike is beginning to show the strain; skipping, clicks, slow cables, all make me wince and wish for a service.
Grand Total: 1005km
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.