We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
1000 Christmas Kilometres
Graeme Raeburn is unwell. The Rapha product designer has a cold (nothing he can't handle) but he has also decided to do what most people definitely won't at this festive juncture, and that's ride 1000km during one week. Admirable but somewhat deranged. He explains below:
I've always wanted to do a 1000km in a week, it seems a nice amount but I always falter around the 800 mark due to work commitments or other distractions. I started thinking it would be interesting to do it in the middle of winter. The idea of sitting on my backside eating chocolates fills me with horror, so what better time than the week between Christmas Day and New Years Eve?
Not only is this a chance to properly test products and think about improvements, but also to know what a professional rider feels like in the middle of winter: Imagine your next season relying on the ability to endure the adverse conditions, head down, churning out a set amount of miles per week. There's no-one to lie to apart from yourself.
I'm trying to give each day a different feel for variety, and hopefully ride with some guest riders along the way.
I asked Guy, editor of Rouleur and writer of books on race training, for advice to gain the most out of the miles. He simply said 'you are mad'.
So what am I worried about? getting ill, maintaining the bike, the weather, the temperature, short daylight hours, eating enough, the boredom and mental fatigue. I've prepared for all this, apart from the last as somehow I've lost my iPod.
Weather in most of the UK is currently snow and sub zero, but the South East has thawed over the past 24hrs. Tomorrow holds an early morning run to the South Coast to deliver a present to great-aunt Tess.
We are awaiting an update on whether great-aunt Tess got her Christmas present safely.
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0