We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
1000 Christmas Kilometres
Graeme Raeburn is unwell. The Rapha product designer has a cold (nothing he can't handle) but he has also decided to do what most people definitely won't at this festive juncture, and that's ride 1000km during one week. Admirable but somewhat deranged. He explains below:
I've always wanted to do a 1000km in a week, it seems a nice amount but I always falter around the 800 mark due to work commitments or other distractions. I started thinking it would be interesting to do it in the middle of winter. The idea of sitting on my backside eating chocolates fills me with horror, so what better time than the week between Christmas Day and New Years Eve?
Not only is this a chance to properly test products and think about improvements, but also to know what a professional rider feels like in the middle of winter: Imagine your next season relying on the ability to endure the adverse conditions, head down, churning out a set amount of miles per week. There's no-one to lie to apart from yourself.
I'm trying to give each day a different feel for variety, and hopefully ride with some guest riders along the way.
I asked Guy, editor of Rouleur and writer of books on race training, for advice to gain the most out of the miles. He simply said 'you are mad'.
So what am I worried about? getting ill, maintaining the bike, the weather, the temperature, short daylight hours, eating enough, the boredom and mental fatigue. I've prepared for all this, apart from the last as somehow I've lost my iPod.
Weather in most of the UK is currently snow and sub zero, but the South East has thawed over the past 24hrs. Tomorrow holds an early morning run to the South Coast to deliver a present to great-aunt Tess.
We are awaiting an update on whether great-aunt Tess got her Christmas present safely.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC