We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
1000 Christmas Kilometres
Graeme Raeburn is unwell. The Rapha product designer has a cold (nothing he can't handle) but he has also decided to do what most people definitely won't at this festive juncture, and that's ride 1000km during one week. Admirable but somewhat deranged. He explains below:
I've always wanted to do a 1000km in a week, it seems a nice amount but I always falter around the 800 mark due to work commitments or other distractions. I started thinking it would be interesting to do it in the middle of winter. The idea of sitting on my backside eating chocolates fills me with horror, so what better time than the week between Christmas Day and New Years Eve?
Not only is this a chance to properly test products and think about improvements, but also to know what a professional rider feels like in the middle of winter: Imagine your next season relying on the ability to endure the adverse conditions, head down, churning out a set amount of miles per week. There's no-one to lie to apart from yourself.
I'm trying to give each day a different feel for variety, and hopefully ride with some guest riders along the way.
I asked Guy, editor of Rouleur and writer of books on race training, for advice to gain the most out of the miles. He simply said 'you are mad'.
So what am I worried about? getting ill, maintaining the bike, the weather, the temperature, short daylight hours, eating enough, the boredom and mental fatigue. I've prepared for all this, apart from the last as somehow I've lost my iPod.
Weather in most of the UK is currently snow and sub zero, but the South East has thawed over the past 24hrs. Tomorrow holds an early morning run to the South Coast to deliver a present to great-aunt Tess.
We are awaiting an update on whether great-aunt Tess got her Christmas present safely.
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries