We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
1000 Christmas Kilometres
Graeme Raeburn is unwell. The Rapha product designer has a cold (nothing he can't handle) but he has also decided to do what most people definitely won't at this festive juncture, and that's ride 1000km during one week. Admirable but somewhat deranged. He explains below:
I've always wanted to do a 1000km in a week, it seems a nice amount but I always falter around the 800 mark due to work commitments or other distractions. I started thinking it would be interesting to do it in the middle of winter. The idea of sitting on my backside eating chocolates fills me with horror, so what better time than the week between Christmas Day and New Years Eve?
Not only is this a chance to properly test products and think about improvements, but also to know what a professional rider feels like in the middle of winter: Imagine your next season relying on the ability to endure the adverse conditions, head down, churning out a set amount of miles per week. There's no-one to lie to apart from yourself.
I'm trying to give each day a different feel for variety, and hopefully ride with some guest riders along the way.
I asked Guy, editor of Rouleur and writer of books on race training, for advice to gain the most out of the miles. He simply said 'you are mad'.
So what am I worried about? getting ill, maintaining the bike, the weather, the temperature, short daylight hours, eating enough, the boredom and mental fatigue. I've prepared for all this, apart from the last as somehow I've lost my iPod.
Weather in most of the UK is currently snow and sub zero, but the South East has thawed over the past 24hrs. Tomorrow holds an early morning run to the South Coast to deliver a present to great-aunt Tess.
We are awaiting an update on whether great-aunt Tess got her Christmas present safely.
- The #raphaprestige story is up. Film by @WEREHAUS, photos from Brian Vernor & story by @krasniakjulie ::http://t.co/YtCARBlXee
- Clancy takes the win in the Tour series in Aberystwyth.
- @alainrumpf sorry for late reply. Comprehensive site is http://t.co/gBvpR134lP. As Udo Bölts once said, 'quäl' dich, du Sau!' Enjoy!
- On Friday May 31st, Rapha will be hosting a ride from Rapperswil-Jona on the banks of Lake Zurich. More info to follow next week on rapha.cc
- Boss. Norwegian national champion's replica jersey and bib shorts now at rapha.cc. http://t.co/fpyjc3PeiM
- As the #Giro begins to climax, @herbiesykes looks at one of its long-established traditions—the one-stage wonder. → http://t.co/mydWSIHSrT
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX
- Churchill → http://t.co/5yhkiupJAH #raphasurvey #wayfaring #cycling