We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
100 Years of the Pyrenees
2010 marks the centenary of the Pyrenees mountains' inclusion in the Tour de France. It was on the 19th July 1910 that the first Tour stage scaled legendary climbs such as the Col d'Aubisque, Peyresourde and the Tourmalet. 'Giants of the road' - riders like Francois Faber and Octave Lapize - conquered monstrous ascents that had never been attempted before by cycle racers, usually on roads that were little more than donkey tracks.
Only a handful of photographs and newspapers, including Henri Desgrange's L'Auto, could recount the tales of unbelievable human endeavour to a fascinated public. Today, we enjoy the sights of riders like Schleck and Contador dancing their way up these mountain passes covered with spectators via live television feeds and helicopter views.
Of course the sport has changed considerably in 100 years but, in essence, it's still the mountains that provide the most excitement and prove who is most worthy to wear the yellow jersey.
To read a feature on the history of the Pyrenees click »
To view how Rapha relived the first Pyrenean Tour stage click »
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.