We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
100 Years of the Pyrenees
2010 marks the centenary of the Pyrenees mountains' inclusion in the Tour de France. It was on the 19th July 1910 that the first Tour stage scaled legendary climbs such as the Col d'Aubisque, Peyresourde and the Tourmalet. 'Giants of the road' - riders like Francois Faber and Octave Lapize - conquered monstrous ascents that had never been attempted before by cycle racers, usually on roads that were little more than donkey tracks.
Only a handful of photographs and newspapers, including Henri Desgrange's L'Auto, could recount the tales of unbelievable human endeavour to a fascinated public. Today, we enjoy the sights of riders like Schleck and Contador dancing their way up these mountain passes covered with spectators via live television feeds and helicopter views.
Of course the sport has changed considerably in 100 years but, in essence, it's still the mountains that provide the most excitement and prove who is most worthy to wear the yellow jersey.
To read a feature on the history of the Pyrenees click »
To view how Rapha relived the first Pyrenean Tour stage click »
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.