We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
ATOC Stage 1 Report- Lake Tahoe, California
There was no Stage 1.
The organizers of the Amgen Tour of California must be very tired of contingencies. Less than two weeks ago when another late spring mud slide onto PCH-1 forced Stage 5 from the picturesque coastal road, the race directors surely had to feel they were done with the forces of nature.
For the first time in the six year history of the ATOC the race went into the high Sierra Mountains. And, for the first time in the six year history of the ATOC, the race was cancelled due to weather. Snow, enough snow where it felt more like January than May, more ski than bike. Any weather or cycling news site has already reported, so I won't belabor it, but even as the forecast for possible snow showers strengthened last week I did not believe it. It was just a month ago when the Rapha Continental rode Stages 1 & 2 where snow was stacked alongside roads that were 100% trending towards summer. But, when we awoke to three-plus inches of snow this morning it was anything but racing weather.
A real shame as now the riders lose out on seeing both the Pacific and the beauty of Lake Tahoe. And a loss for the fans that should have been at Northstar today to see one of our heroes take the first stage of America's grandest tour.
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0