We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
ATOC Stage 1 Report- Lake Tahoe, California
There was no Stage 1.
The organizers of the Amgen Tour of California must be very tired of contingencies. Less than two weeks ago when another late spring mud slide onto PCH-1 forced Stage 5 from the picturesque coastal road, the race directors surely had to feel they were done with the forces of nature.
For the first time in the six year history of the ATOC the race went into the high Sierra Mountains. And, for the first time in the six year history of the ATOC, the race was cancelled due to weather. Snow, enough snow where it felt more like January than May, more ski than bike. Any weather or cycling news site has already reported, so I won't belabor it, but even as the forecast for possible snow showers strengthened last week I did not believe it. It was just a month ago when the Rapha Continental rode Stages 1 & 2 where snow was stacked alongside roads that were 100% trending towards summer. But, when we awoke to three-plus inches of snow this morning it was anything but racing weather.
A real shame as now the riders lose out on seeing both the Pacific and the beauty of Lake Tahoe. And a loss for the fans that should have been at Northstar today to see one of our heroes take the first stage of America's grandest tour.
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX